The mission of Students Run LA is to challenge at-risk secondary students to experience the benefits of goal-setting, character development, adult mentoring and improved health by providing them with a truly life-changing experience: The training for and completion of the ASICS LA Marathon.
To carry out its mission, SRLA has five key objectives:
- To provide teacher mentors who assist students in their training and who reinforce the lessons of responsibility, discipline and goal-setting.
- To support students in tackling a supremely difficult goal, to break down their mental barriers to this goal, and to create “can do” attitudes.
- To introduce students to the pleasure of running, encourage students to develop the habit of physical fitness, and teach students aspects of healthy living.
- To create an opportunity for students of all ethnic groups, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds to meet one another and experience an important sense of belonging.
- To offer a program in which all students are welcome, all have the same chance to achieve the goal, and all become winners.
For many of the students, training for a marathon represents the first time that they have committed to a specific goal. By providing them an opportunity for incremental accomplishment and a supportive environment to help them on their way, SRLA gives the students the inspiration, excitement and encouragement to accomplish their goal.